Friday, August 17, 2012

Happy Accident

Dear Fauxllowers:

Today's post is going to be brief. I am in Lancaster, the heart of Pennsylvania Dutch country. I am here with my father and step-mother and the children. We are headed for Dutch Wonderland in the morning. Given the area's deep German roots, I was shocked and dismayed to learn that beer is not part of the Dutch Wonderland experience. Personally, I don't know a single German who would describe any such place as a "wonderland."

Anyway...my post today is about a happy accident I experienced last night. It was a small discovery, but "having it all" means finding happiness in the nooks and crannies of life.

Some are happy. Some aren't.

Everyone has accidents. Some are happy. Some are unhappy. Part of having it all means accepting both happy, and unhappy, accidents.

Here are some examples of happy accidents:
"Most of us believe in trying to make other 
people happy only if they can be happy 
in ways which we approve."  ~Robert S. Lynd

  • An unexpected pregnancy.
  • The discovery of antibiotics.
  • Running into a long-lost friend in line at the DMV.
  • Having your flight grounded due to weather but being bumped to first class on the next flight.
  •  Losing 10 pounds from the stomach flu right before your 20-year reunion.


Here are some examples of unhappy accidents:

 "Misery is almost always 
the result of thinking."  ~Joseph Joubert
  • An unexpected pregnancy.
  • The discovery that even though you didn't get pregnant you need an antibiotic.
  • Rear-ending a cop on the way to the DMV.
  • Being in first class stuck next to some yahoo who had only ever traveled coach.
  • Losing 10 pounds from the Irish flu the day after your 20-year reunion because you were unaware you had since developed a severe allergy to clove cigarettes and Boon's Farm.


 My Happy Accident

I have mentioned my affection for mojitos in a couple of my previous posts. Last night, as I was finishing canning my homemade sweet pepper and sundried tomato sauce (recipe below), I realized I had forgotten to prepare some of my equipment--namely, my mojito. It was dark outside and so I went to my mint patch and blindly grabbed at the plant, hoping I avoided the poison ivy growing alongside it. (All the weeds in my garden are there because I believe strongly in allowing nature to thrive and to encourage visits from honey bees and yellow jackets.)

When I got inside I tossed the leaves in the mortar bowl, carefully measured and poured my 4 ounces of white rum, and added a splash of simple sugar. As I began to muddle, a different aroma wafted from the bowl. It smelled faintly of Pledge. Alas, I had picked lemon balm. Well, we all know the old saying, "When life gives you lemon balm, make a lemon balm pineapple mojito!" Never one to shun ancient wisdom, I did exactly that.

Melissa's Lemon Balm Pineapple Mojito

Ingredients:

Hand full of lemon balm (from your own garden)
Crushed pineapple (depending on your geography, you will likely need to purchase this)
White rum
Simple syrup
Lemon
Seltzer water

Make this the same way you make a regular mojto. See my previous post for directions. Note: you likely won't need as much simple sugar as this because of the sweetness of the pineapple. Enjoy!

Bonus Recipe

I will discuss the multiple uses of olive oil in a later post. Also, remember to employ common sense hygiene and safety practices while in the kitchen.Happy Friday!

 

Sweet Pepper and Sundried Tomato Pasta Sauce

Ingredients:

  • Equal parts: Chopped sweet red or green peppers (de-seeded) and onions (I used about 4 cups each but it depends on the size of your batch)
  •  Fresh garlic to taste (I used at least 4 cloves of my own, home-grown organic garlic to avoid the Chinese stuff.)
  • 4 quarts strained tomatoes
  • 3 small cans of tomato paste
  • 1 cup of soaked and drained sundried tomatoes (I made mine from our garden tomatoes and stored them in the fridge in a jar with olive oil and salt--I used the leftover oil and salt in this recipe.)
  • olive oil
  • salt 
  • sugar
  • oregano and basil to taste
  • I don't do measurements unless necessary

Sautee the onions, garlic, and peppers on low heat (olive oil has a low smoking point) until the vegetables are slightly soft. Add strained tomatoes, tomato paste, and generous amount of fresh oregano and basil (less if dried). Let simmer on low heat, stirring occasionally, for at least an hour. Turn the heat off and let the sauce cool slightly. Blend using a submersion blender until smooth (you can use a regular blender but you would have to wait until it is cool.) Add sugar (at least 1/3 cup) and salt (you may need up to 1/4 cup) to taste. Simmer until slighly thicker and follow canning directions when ready.

Enjoy!

And remember...

"If you don't have it all, you just aren't trying hard enough!"

4 comments:

  1. Haha, I don't think I know any Germans that would describe that as a wonderland either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's yummy..him and olive oil. No, no...no olive oil. Just him and a mojito. Have fun at the dry german place...thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why is the man in the picture not at your house when I come over?

    ReplyDelete